What do you do in a medical emergency?
Stay calm, and call your local emergency number (such as 911). Start CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) or rescue breathing, if necessary and if you know the proper technique. Place a semiconscious or unconscious person in the recovery position until the ambulance arrives.
What are the 7 steps to take in a medical emergency?
Terms in this set (7)
- Take Charge of the Situation.
- Approach the Patient Safely.
- Perform Emergency Rescue and Urgent First Aid. DO NOT MOVE THE PATIENT AGAIN UNTILL STEP 7!!!!!
- Protect the Patient. …
- Check for Other Injuries.
- Plan What to Do.
- Carry Out the Plan.
What is the first thing to do in a medical emergency?
If they do, you should: dial 999 or 112 as soon as possible and ask for an ambulance. treat any obvious injuries. lie the person down if their injuries allow you to and, if possible, raise and support their legs.
What is the most important step you can take in a medical emergency?
Activating the EMS system by calling 9-1-1 or the local emergency number is the most important step you can take in an emergency.
What are the 4 signs of an emergency?
Warning Signs that Indicate a Medical Emergency
- Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath.
- Chest or upper abdominal pain or pressure.
- Fainting, sudden dizziness, weakness.
- Changes in vision.
- Confusion or changes in mental status.
- Any sudden or severe pain.
- Uncontrolled bleeding.
What qualifies as an emergency?
An emergency is a situation that poses an immediate risk to health, life, property, or environment. Most emergencies require urgent intervention to prevent a worsening of the situation. It is an unexpected and usually dangerous situation that calls for immediate action.
What are the 3 steps for responding to an emergency?
Emergency situations are often confusing and frightening. To take appropriate actions in any emergency, follow the three basic emergency action steps — Check-Call-Care. Check the scene and the victim. Call the local emergency number to activate the EMS system.
What is the first step in an emergency?
Steps to take when an emergency occurs:
- Take a deep breath.
- Count to 10. Tell yourself you can handle the situation.
- Check for danger. Protect yourself and the injured person from fire, explosions, or other hazards.
- Try to look at the situation as a whole.
What is an example of a medical emergency?
Some examples of medical emergencies are: Chest pain accompanied by sweating, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, radiating pain that moves to the arm or neck, dizziness, or feeling that your heart is beating irregularly or too fast. Choking. Severe bleeding that doesn’t stop after 15 minutes of direct pressure.